Sunday, November 18, 2012

East End


Rise and shine America its Packer Sunday!!!  Still proudly showing my pride every Sunday here in London (:
 
For my British Experience Seminar class taught by my directors we are given assignments that involve us in the city and culture of London.  Today Ryan, Blaize, and I went on our “walking tour” through the East End: London’s contemporary art centre.  Needless to say it was so beautiful!  Thank goodness Blaize was along and took over control as the “tour guide” because Ryan and I kept getting side tracked and found ourselves wandering off towards something we spotted out of the corner of our eyes.  A little background knowledge: the East End is one of the most vibrant and culturally diverse as well as often over-looked neighborhoods of London.  The Bangladeshi and South-Indian community’s influences are strongly felt throughout the streets.  A lot of artists also live, work, and display their art in East End today. 


First we walked down Folgate Street and Elder Street which are lined with absolutely beautiful Georgian houses, which previously housed silk weavers back in the late 19th and 20th centuries.  If I could live in one of these I would seriously be happy for life.  This might sound creepy, but I was peering into some of the windows as I was walking down the road and I was just in awe of the exquisiteness I saw.  It is moments like these that I find myself really envying the lives of Londoners. 



Next it was onto Commercial Street, which you could immediately tell was the “main street” of the area.  Ryan and I immediately spotted ‘Urban Outfitters’, which is one of our favorite stores back home so of course we had to get off track again and take a quick look.  There were many adorable vintage shops that lined Commercial Street, which I could look at all day every day.  We came across Old Spitalfields Market and decided to brace the crowd and make our way through.  I am so glad we did because the stands were filled with more vintage things and accessories, arts and crafts, fruits and veggies, and ethnic shops. The market was very crowded though, so we didn’t stay long and decided to keep on with our “walking tour”.  I am sure Ryan and I will make a point to get back though! 



Next stop was the English-Baroque structure of Christ Church.  It is considered one of the most important English-Baroque structures in the country.  

There was a little park next to the church, which we also took the time to walk through.  All of the autumn leaves that filled the ground just put a smile to my face.  Of course I walked through them all kicking my boots through the autumn leaves. 




Off to Brick Lane next, which is filled with many curry shops, funky boutiques, and shops selling sorts of Asian sub-continent items.  The street signs in this area are all written in English and Bengali.  I immediately noticed the variety of shops and ethnic food restaurants when we started on Brick Lane, but as we continued I started to notice the diversity in people that filled the streets.  I felt like a minority here and it then hit me that I think I feel like a minority everywhere in London.  I don’t even think there is a majority.  The city really is that diverse.  


It is here on Brick Lane where we really noticed the art influence of the East End.  So much beautiful graffiti everywhere!  We wandered off into a couple side streets and alleys just to capture and appreciate the beautiful art around us.  Don't worry mom and dad I was safe :p 




The weather today was so beautiful.  I am so glad that I convinced Ryan and Blaize to come walk with me through London’s East End.  I am still just amazed at the culture of London.  You really can walk in a different direction every day and find a completely different and new experience.  This city is so diverse and has so many wonderful things to offer I can’t believe I am still finding new things after being here for two months.  

Much love -Brittany 

No comments:

Post a Comment