Thursday, October 18, 2012

Lows to Highs

Well I had my first “not the best” day this week.  I was expecting it sooner or later because I have been running on pure excitement and adrenaline for the past month; I was bound to have a reality check.  Solution: I forced myself to go outside and walk in a direction that I have not had the opportunity to explore very much.  Basically I sent myself on a scavenger hunt to find new and exciting things and also to help remind myself that I will never have this amazing opportunity again.  My sadness quickly passed and the next day I was right back on my “London high” again. 

I went to visit the Tower of London today.  It was fabulous!  Our tour guide informed us that he and his family live inside the tower along with a couple of chapels, a restaurant, doctor’s office...  He holds one of the most prestigious jobs in London; you have to pass many tests, have been in the military for around 20 years, and be approved by the Queen. There have been less than 400 people to hold this position throughout history and there can only be 30 at one time.  The history of the tower: royal prisoners and numerous executions.  The tower was also used to house the royal family and although they no longer live there, the tower is still considered to be a palace.  On to my favorite part, what the Tower of London has been most famous for since the 17th century, the crown jewels!  So beautiful!  I was in awe the entire time!  Sadly no pictures, but I got to see the crowns of Kings and Queens throughout time as well as golden scepters, swords, and orbs. They even had some of the original footage of Queen Elizabeth's coronation playing as you walked through.  It was really an amazing experience! 




 AHHH on my way to the crown jewels :)


 Tower Bridge

Finally, I just got back from seeing Les Miserables with my roommate Nicole.  It was absolutely phenomenal!!!  I am still speechless!  Hands down the best theatre production I have ever seen so far!  Fyi I find it interesting that at every production I have been to here so far, ice cream is "the thing to eat" during intermission. 

 Beautiful theatre!
 
Cheers!  -Brittany
 

No comments:

Post a Comment