Friday, October 12, 2012

Canterbury & Dover

I love traveling by bus because I see something new that I want to come back and try out every single time.  Rolling out of the city this morning I spotted Tiger Lily, which my sister works at, Toys R Us, TK Maxx, which appeared to be just like TJ Maxx, Aldi food store, and of course more KFC and Starbucks.  I began to think that maybe why I don’t feel like I am in another country yet is because maybe England really is the United States sister country.  There are so many similarities it is crazy!  Even the countryside reminds me a lot of the Midwest; a bit different yes, but very, very similar.  Luscious green farmland and trees were the sight outside my window as the bus headed to the town of Canterbury. 

Canterbury is home to the largest cathedral in England, which we got to spend time touring today.  It was beautiful! 





The town of Canterbury reminded me very much so of what I think a typical English town to look like; narrow, winding brick roads, lined with shops and tea cafés. 


I ate lunch at this adorable little café where I had what I think has become my favorite British meal here--- ham, fried eggs, and chips--- delicious! 

I was then back on the bus attempting to contain my excitement for Dover Castle and finding myself looking outside my window to see the English Channel.  When we arrived at Dover Castle I was speechless!!!  It was gorgeous and we got to spend a good couple hours wandering through it and around the area. 






 I see France!

 Finding some secret passageways in the castle :)

 

 Riding the train around the area



Hope you all have a great weekend!
-Brittany
P.S.- I also find it interesting that I see someone sporting a USA flag print on their clothing or accessories at least once a week.  This week it was platform shoes… attractive…

No comments:

Post a Comment