Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Hampstead Village


It has only been three days since the royal baby announcement and there is already merchandise being produced.  The news now is talking about Harry being replaced.  They also have taken a picture of Kate and a picture of William and have generated ideas of what the baby will look like.  Crazy how excited the Brits are about this. 

Anyway… I visited Hampstead, which is one of the villages of London.  It was once a settlement of its own, but has been swallowed up by the spread of the city.  Despite this, I was surprised to find how much it has retained its own unique identity and left me feeling miles away from the busyness of London I am used to.  I wandered about streets of the town that were not necessarily “main” to observe the houses and everyday life of the people living in Hampstead.  I was surprised to find actual single houses instead of apartments or big buildings with multiple places inside.  Each was of regal, historic beauty different to the next.  I was amazed at the different unique details to each, as well as the beautiful gardens and greenery that surrounded the houses.  


I loved walking down High Street, the main street of Hampstead, and I sat to observe the people and places around me for a while.  I noticed a lot of children, families, and dogs.  This seemed to be a very family oriented village.  It was less crowded than the areas that I am used to and people seemed a lot more relaxed instead of the closed off and rushed appearance given off in central London.  The shops and cafes that lined the High Street were the little boutique and classy type.  I stopped at the Olde Sweet Shoppe to grab a treat and then headed towards Parliament Hill.  The view was breathtaking and while I was sitting here looking at the beautiful city of London I took some time to reflect over my time here in London: what I have learned and experienced, how much I’ve grown, and how this journey has truly changed me forever.  

Love, Brittany 

No comments:

Post a Comment