Friday, December 7, 2012

Greenwich

Today my fellow program members, directors, and I hopped on a very chilly boat and headed east of central London to Greenwich.  The world’s clocks are set according to Greenwich Mean Time and visitors from around the world come here to stand on the prime meridian, the line from which the world’s longitude is measured.



Once we got here we climbed up the steep hill in Greenwich Park with the brisk wind blowing straight in our faces, we turned around to see an overlooking view of the beautiful city we have all called home for the past three months.  I think it was a bit of an emotional moment for many of us as we looked at our home and back at each other.  There are a total of 24 of us in the program.  Seeing everyone daily and going through these experiences together has really bonded each and every one of us. 

 I was not cold one bit...

It was then onto the Royal Observatory, a museum mostly devoted to the development of navigational techniques.  It was here where the prime meridian line lies and where I stood between the Western and Easter hemispheres at one time.    

 Times around the world

Inside the museum I found it really interesting to learn about finding longitude in a timekeeper method versus an astronomical method.  There was also a display of the evolution of clocks.  I have never seen or learned about the first clocks, so the exhibit most defiantly held my attention for quite some time.  My favorite thing here though had to be the 28 inch telescope, which is the largest in the UK, is over 100 years old, and is still working!   

Next I visited the National Maritime Museum, which contains exhibits of pioneering, sea travel, mass migration of the early 20th century, maritime London, and trade.  It is the world’s largest maritime museum with over 500 years of Britain's encounter with the world at sea.  I love that the museums in London are free!  I feel like I can go in and stay as long as I want and see whatever I want instead of feeling like I need to spend a great deal of time there to get my money’s worth.  So even though this museum was not really my thing at all, I did enjoy the time that I spent there and what the exhibition had to offer.  I most enjoyed the replica and actual pieces to depict the story of Britain’s Maritime history. 

It was then on to the Queen’s House... Wait what?! I thought the Queen lived in Buckingham Palace!  Yes, yes she does.  This was designed in 1616 for James I’s wife, Anne of Denmark.  It was one of the first truly classical buildings in Britain.  It now houses a fine art collection, which I thought was beautiful!  I absolutely loved looking at it.  The art class I have been taking while I am here has really given me a newfound appreciation and love for art.  Over the past three months we have gone to a different art museum here once a week where I have learned of the different styles and time periods in art history.  I have found the ability to appreciate and understand art now for what it truly is. 

Finally it was time to meet back up with my directors and program members to eat some “traditional Mexican food” at Café Sol.  Okay I can’t really eat traditional Mexican food because it all basically contains gluten and corn, hence my air quotes.  Luckily they had Cajun grilled salmon and cheesy potato skins, which was absolutely divine!  And since I couldn’t experience the traditional food it was completely necessary to have a strawberry margarita (:

What a bittersweet daytrip!  I think it is all really starting to hit us that we have two weeks left here.  Words cannot even begin to describe what this experience has meant to me.  

Love, Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment